How do cognitive issues affect you?
It is the unseen element of these issues that gets me. I look ‘normal’ – whatever that ‘normal’ looks like….
Some of the issues facing people like me include:
- Difficulty in evaluating the result of actions and reduced ability to change behaviour or switch between tasks if needed.
- Finding it hard to anticipate consequences
- Decreased ability to make accurate judgements or find solutions if things are going wrong
- Acting too quickly and impulsively without fully thinking through the consequences, for example, spending more money than can be afforded.
- Difficulty in controlling emotions which may lead to outbursts of emotion such as anger or crying
- Rapid mood changes may occur, for example, switching from happiness to sadness for no apparent reason
- Reduced ability to engage in social interactions
- Finding it hard to initiate, participate in, or pay attention to conversations
- Poor judgement in social situations, which may lead to saying or doing inappropriate things
- Finding it harder to concentrate
- Difficulty with learning new information
- Decreased memory for past or current events, which may lead to disorientation.
Not that I suffer from all of them but it is so frustrating that I suffer from any and can do so little about them except for being strong, flexible and understanding and gracious to myself.
That is why I love Neuro Linguistic Programming as it allows my mind to think differently about the situation that I am in.